Getting lost on my way to the floating village in Cambodia

I get lost a lot while traveling. I’m lost about 95% of the time. The other 5% I’m sleeping and even that gets confusing. While staying in Siem Reap, Cambodia I heard about the floating village. I decided to try to find it on my own. A very nice lady at the hostel I was staying at did an excellent job at giving me directions. Too bad while she was giving them my A.D.D kicked in and I got distracted by a butterfly or cat or a lama or something, I don’t recall now. I just remember her saying, “see, very easy. You find it no problem, only 35 minutes away” I didn’t want her to know that I just missed everything she said so I thanked her then jumped on my scooter and headed out. I like the saying, it’s not the destination but the journey. After about 2 hours into my journey I began to think I wouldn’t make the destination. I usually don’t have a destination when I’m exploring a new place. I just ride, or walk around until I see something interesting. So I just kept riding, If I found the floating village then cool, if not I could always try the next day. I met a lot of interesting people along the way. It took me about 4 hours to finally get there. But the ride was definitely worth it. I guess you could say I took the scenic route. I rode along a river for a while, then rice fields, then just sand. At some points there was no one around at all. The longest I went without seeing another person was maybe an hour. I was in the middle of no where. When I did pass a local they knew I was lost so they would kindly point me in the right direction. When I got to the floating village some locals invited me to talk with them. Actually we didn’t really talk much because they didn’t know English and I didn’t know Khmer. So we just drank, ate, danced, and drank some more late into the night. When it was time to sleep they walked me up this latter that at the time seemed 500 feet high. I just remember taking my sweet time so I wouldn’t fall. I remember saying to myself, right hand, left hand, right foot, left foot and kept climbing up and up and up. It was like a tree house I never had as a kid. When I finally got to the top, I looked around and I could see everything. Well that’s a lie. It was pitch black and I couldn’t even see my hand when I put it in front of my face. But the stars were spectacular. I star gazed for a good 20 minutes. I couldn’t tell if I was seeing shooting stars or it was from the special drinks they kept giving me. Either way the show was amazing. After watching all the moving stars for a while I decided to lie down and try to get some sleep. Here’s a little clip of me trying to find the floating village in Cambodia near Siem Reap Subscribe Here!




It's only fair to share...Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on StumbleUponShare on Tumblr

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *